Dec 3, 2012

3rd December




There were over 500 people. Every shape, size, age, caste, creed and gender. It was Jantar Mantar. It was just another day.

Some claimed that they were protesting FDI in multi-brand retail. Most claimed that they had no idea why they were here in the first place. Infact, they couldn't even find out if they tried. The protesters could neither speak nor hear.

I walked through the crowd gathered feeling extremely lost and confused at first. There was certainly an amount of awkwardness attached to any "abled" person wading through that crowd. I felt alone in this unique ensemble. I had no way of either understanding or communicating with the people around me. They were oblivious to my existence and honestly it felt like I was trying to blend into a party that I wasn't even invited to - while wearing a silver apron and a giant top hat.

..and it was then that I realized that this itself was the very purpose of this solemn gathering. I was just put through the same ordeal that each of them probably goes through every day. Feeling lost, secluded, unwanted..

It was poetic. It was beautiful. It was powerful. It was magical. It was also quite disturbing.

I realize just now how limited the options are for the deaf and dumb to make a career for themselves. I believe the whole "If you don't have no shoes, look at the man who has no legs" analogy is terribly flawed however you can't help but feel how painfully difficult it can be to not experience music, everyday sounds or even hear another human express their emotions. Life would be unimaginable.

And we think we had it rough?

No comments: